The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson
Jon Ronson just has an incredible knack of getting crazy people to talk to him. In The Psychopath Test he mixes with Scientologists, CEOs, psychopaths and psychopath hunters. The book is both funny and very disturbing. There's the theory that a significant proportion of CEOs and politicians are successful because they are psychopaths. There's the somewhat arbitrary checklist that is used to diagnose a psychopath and the impossible situation of trying to prove that you're sane once you've been committed. And there's the profit seeking alliance between drug companies and psychologists that Ronson claims has led to over *three million* children being diagnosed as bipolar in the US when quite possibly none of them are.
One Day by David Nicholls
A sharply observed romance spanning the 80s, 90s and 00s. Initial lust turns to friendship, hatred, some more friendship and finally love. Decent enough read.
- We could have had the Moon, instead we get Afghanistan from jwz (Actually nearly three moons...).
- Medical Examiner: Bullet That Killed Kenneth Harding Not From Police from KQED News Fix (Will the protesters turn out for some community service this weekend then?).
- A popular idea for making California's votes count from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Death to the Electoral College!).
- Final space shuttle launch, as seen from booster camera (video) from Boing Boing (Incredible).
You Might Also Like
- Twitter: Put some status in status updates
- Did anyone tell Material Design about Gesture Navigation?
- A vacation based proof of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics