Reviews and links for May 2011
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
The first couple of chapters are hilarious and then it's a solid, sprawling family drama with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. I just couldn't click with any of the characters and ultimately didn't care how things turned out for any of them.
- S.F. bus driver marks 40 years behind the wheel from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (A career spanning nearly three blocks of Mission ;)).
- Obama, in Europe, signs Patriot Act extension from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Need to stage an addiction to emergency powers intervention...).
- Tornadoes, climate change, and real scientific literacy from Boing Boing (Good article).
- Mayor signs Yellow Pages law restricting distribution from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Excellent. Now get rid of the Examiner as well.).
- Sarkozy questions 'neutral' net from BBC News - Home (Right, because someone might see a photo of someone in a burqa).
- Many baby items found to contain toxic chemicals from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Goes up to 100% once baby has actually used them.).
- Free-floating 'planets' found that have no star from BBC News - Home (Any headed this way?).
- Preview Coming Bay Bridge Road Change With New App from KQED News Fix (Android users smart enough to drive without an app preview...).
- Clegg unveils Lords reform plans from BBC News - Home (Better idea: http://goo.gl/6RRdf).
- Pesticide bombing of Farallones mice spurs debate from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Nooo. Send cats, then dogs, then Cthulu!).
- Worst of rain may miss Bay to Breakers from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Fingers crossed!).
- In 3D - ants as you have never seen them before from BBC News - Home (Um, no. Unless you're a cyclops this is exactly how you see ants.).
- Magna Carta: Live! from KQED News Fix (Should really go and see this...).
- Police called as dog bites voters from BBC News - Home (It's a case of 'first past the pug').
- Photo: Obama and National Security team during Osama kill operation from Boing Boing (That looks like one lame situation room.).
All comments are moderated. Your email address is used to display a Gravatar and optionally for notification of new comments and to sign up for the newsletter.