Reviews and links for April 2011
Zero Day by Mark Russinovich
Promising start, Mark 'system internals' Russinovich certainly knows his stuff and the initial computer forensics are bang on. Sadly it descends into a pedestrian chase thriller and the malware takes a back seat to cookie cutter Arab terrorists.
The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
An education on many different species of parallel universes: in space, in time, in dimensions, in simulations and more. Interesting detours into the current state of cosmology and quantum theory and much discussion on the nature of science when exploring realms that may forever be closed to observation (although it's surprising how many of the parallel universes may leave some detectable footprint in ours, or be conclusively ruled out by future experiments). Fascinating and very well written.
- SF Chronicle video prompts White House threat from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Petty. What did you just say about having more important things to do? #Obama).
- Mayor Ed Lee Opposed to Shark Fin Ban from KQED News Fix (Boo temporary Mayor!).
- SF Board of Supervisors Vote to Oppose GGNRA Dog Policy from KQED News Fix (Yay supes!).
- Go the Fuck to Sleep: a storybook for exhausted parents from Boing Boing (Pre-ordered).
- Reserve marine life 'flourishing' from BBC News - Home (Are scallops in some sense not wildlife?).
- Homes' solar panels often boost values from San Francisco Bay Area News — — SFGate (Yippee! That was my theory when we did it...).
- What would public broadcasting do with $178 billion? from All Salon (No fly zone over Arizona!).
- Bernalwood’s Wild Kingdom, or How To Deal Unwanted Guests from Bernalwood (It's like Cloverfield in a garage!).
All comments are moderated. Your email address is used to display a Gravatar and optionally for notification of new comments and to sign up for the newsletter.